Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Cathedral Texture Final

Here's the fully textured cathedral. Unfortunately I can't really smooth the whole thing with textures all at once, but it still looks pretty cool unsmoothed. Maya crashed about 30 or so times during the shading process.






Sunday, October 28, 2012

Cathedral Texture Update

Added in all of the bump, normal, and spec maps to the main modules at the front. Also, I fixed the horrible looking rose window and made a new floor.


Project Yoakam Update

This week for our project, we started filming. Tom, our DP, Don, our director, and I all worked together to get the best compositions we could in each location. We made good headway and got quite a few shots under our belt. All of the major shots have been completed. However, this coming week we still need to shoot some extra footage to help the edit move along. We are on track with filming and should complete everything we need by Thursday at the latest. Take a look at some screenshots of some of the shots we've filmed! Please note, these shots have not been color corrected yet.



Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cathedral Texture Update 03

Quick update on the cathedral. Textured the front half of the building and started making a rose window.



Monday, October 22, 2012

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Project Yoakam Update

This week we made a lot of progress. In our meeting on Thursday, we finalized the script and picked Jake Bova as our puppet actor. Also, our puppet, Murphy, is nearing completion and should be ready to go for filming this coming Tuesday.

On Friday, Don and I went out to get hair for the Murphy and also got a few hats to try on him.

Also, this week I decided to go ahead and give a little more direction to the effects and post team by making an example motion graphics resolve. From a timing and animation perspective, this is more what I'm looking for.


CCAD Resolve from Kevin Harkness on Vimeo.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Project Yoakam Week 02

This week, we finalized the puppet design and went through the process of storyboarding the short. We decided to go with a more tubular, cylindrical head, a comb-over, and a business suit and tie. Overall, things are looking like they're off to a great start, and I think we have a solid game plan as we begin to film next week. We also came up with a name for our puppet character. From henceforth he will be known as Murphy!

In order to assist the puppet crew, I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics with Melanie Mescher and picked up all of the supplies we needed to construct Murphy.



Here's the rough color palette for Murphy (we laid the fabric out on the floor whilst picking it out).


Special thanks to Melanie. Had she not come to the store with me I would have had a horrible time navigating the sea of fabrics in the store.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Project Yoakam Week 01

After our meeting on Thursday, we've gotten off to a great start. As Art Director, I've been working closely with both the Puppet Team and the Story Team this week. We've all been concepting ideas to figure out just what kind of character we want our puppet to have.

To help out with development, I called up some friends who work with puppetry and got some tips and tricks for when we actually build our design. I learned about using budget materials like plastic spoons, cans, and various forms of foam in order to get the most bang for our buck when constructing the puppet. At the next meeting, we will discuss materials we have and figure out those we still need to obtain.

I would like to go ahead and establish a visual convention for everyone doing concept art or production art. In the bottom left-hand corner of all work, please insert the following text:

Project Yoakam: (Brief description of what artwork is)
Artist: (your name)
Date: (date created MM/DD/YY)

Please use a basic sans-serif font and make sure it's easy to read. You do not need to do any fancy formatting, just make it readable and make sure it's out of the way of your art. We are still working on what we want the file name conventions to be, but please do this IN ADDITION to our naming conventions, as it will make critiquing work much easier.

Lastly, here are a few sketches I did to help out the Puppet Team. I've already talked with Don about most of them and he's posted notes on his blog.



Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cathedral Progress

Made good headway on the cathedral. I've been making it in modules so as to make my life less stressful. Here's a quick look at the main wall module.  I eventually plan to make all of the windows stain glass, but the white windows with bars work nicely for now. The detail is pretty tightly packed in there so I'm probably going to be pretty deep in proxies and instances when it comes to building the full structure.